Making the Case.. - Silverado Cheyenne Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 18 Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Making the Case..

Yes the Cheyenne is snarly, yes it would be an excellent product and yes its a Silverado, but therein lies the problem. A Silverado based Cheyenne would be priced at the top of the market likely in the price range of the top dollar Raptor and luxury trim Denali Sierra which means ultra low volume. I believe that that alone is enough to deter GM from exploring the concept further.

BUT.

GM does have precedent building bonkers small trucks, remember the Syclone? Based off the 1991 Sonoma/S-10 platform its main calling card was a Mitsubishi sourced Turbo Charger grafted to the LB4 V6 and good for 280 hp and 350 lb-ft of twist, which was an 80 hp/120 lb-ft bump over the stock LB4 equipped Sonoma at the time.

What does that matter you might ask?

Well Consider the new Colorado. Its lower price point makes it accessible to a larger slice of the market, its smaller footprint bring it closer in line with the original Syclone and most importantly a Colorado Cheyenne would be able to use V6 Turbo power instead of a gas guzzling 6.2L 8. Not to mention the Colorado is already 900 lbs lighter than Silverado. This is important for two reasons.

The cost of fuel will not be receding anytime soon, the cold fact is higher oil prices make production of hard to get oil feasible, unfortunately thats all thats left at this point. So escalating fuel costs are necessary to subsidize the technological expansion of drilling. Digression, yes, not an advocation either, just the reality of our lives. Back on point, escalating fuel costs are going to deter many considering the long term costs of vehicle ownership. The 6.2L equipped Silverado Cheyenne would be dinged with a massive gas guzzler tax before you even leave the showroom, a second deterrent.

So now lets wrap this up, Regular Cab, Short box, rear bias AWD AND the TT 3.6L V6 LF3 mill lifted from the Cadillac ATS. By the numbers...

The Original Syclone was priced 66% higher than the BASE Sonoma. Consider now that Colorado is expected to be start at sub $20K to stay competitive with Frontier and Tacoma, lets say $18K ballpark. A similar 66% price increase for a Colorado Cheyenne would leave it at $29,880 MSRP, a much easier pill to swallow than a high $40's, early $50's priced Silverado Cheyenne.

Add in this:

Quote:
“A lot is going to be happening in the truck portfolio in the foreseeable future. A lot of neat models and editions, you’ll see a lot of neat activity going on,” Jeff Luke, GM executive chief engineer of trucks, told Auto Guide on the sidelines of the Detroit Auto Show.
and we may just have the perfect storm...

Last edited by lemony squeezy; 01-31-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-31-2014, 01:16 PM

The Colorado is smaller no? Comes down to your needs really.

And what does the Colarado Cheyenne run? Are they even selling it yet?

post #3 of 18 Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 PM

I think that it is more likely that we get a performance version of the Colorado than the Silverado. The Silverado's segment is much more competitive but there are few trucks competing in the compact segment. This means that a performance focused Chevy Colorado would have no competition and would probably sell really well. it would also be a bit cheaper than the equivalent Silverado would. I think that GM does want to make a performance truck, it is just a matter of exactly which truck that turns out to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I'd just like to add that the Canyon looked so much better than the Colorado. Look at them both side by side and you'll see.

post #5 of 18 Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vEight View Post
I'd just like to add that the Canyon looked so much better than the Colorado. Look at them both side by side and you'll see.
I can see what you mean. I am not sure that it is any more likely that we will see a Canyon Cheyenne than a Colorado Cheyenne. I just can't see this happening since the concept was a Silverado. And if it does happen I think it is going to take pressure on GM and a little more time. I mean GM hasn't really said they have any intentions of moving the Cheyenne to production (have they?)
post #6 of 18 Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 AM

I think the possibility still stands, but first it would have to be a Silverado Cheyenne and then the rest follow, if they want to go that direction

post #7 of 18 Old 02-04-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I just think a Colorado/Canyon Cheyenne would be a better mover for GM. Its price point would make it more accessible to the lower part of the market. The best part is they could completely freeze Ford and RAM out of the segment. Neither of them have a small/mid size truck. Currently if you want a performance truck you're looking at almost $40K for the Tremor or $50K+ for the Raptor. People would be all over this thing in the low $30's....
post #8 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM

It would be, they are mainstream enough to set the foundation for a performance truck in that segment. Seems like there will be more of a transition to a truck like that within this segment

post #9 of 18 Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Have they announced a Cheyenne version of the Colorado yet?

post #10 of 18 Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM

nothing yet, just pure speculation from Chevy fans.
i know car makers have their people watching the boards so with all the interest, MAYBE it will happen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Silverado Cheyenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page